ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New domain named identically - Not the typical Dom
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New domain named identically - Not the typical Dom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danewo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New domain named identically - Not the typical Dom
    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 5:38pm

Does Profile Wizard support moving from a Domain to a Domain?  If so, will it understand the following situation where it appears that it’s in the same domain that it's moving to when it’s not.

Scenario:

I have a client using Windows  SBS 2003 Server for simple AD/DNS  but no exchange. 

I’m building a brand new DC using Server 2019 Essentials.  I will create identically named users, groups, objects, etc in the new AD and it will have the same server name,  IP address, Domain Name, user names, etc.   Due to old legacy apps and non-existent developers for old apps,  I have to keep everything named and IP’d the same.

I must power off the old SBS2003 and then power on the 2019 Essentials on the day I go live.

Next I’ll need to join computers to the new domain, even though are currently joined to the identically named Domain, the SIDs will be different and new domain will be unaware of these computers so they won’t really be in the domain that they are configured for, thus the need to join them to the identically named domain.

My concern is that I have to switch from a current Domain to a new Domain while retaining the local profile from their previous domain. I can’t remove them from their current domain first or they will lose their current desktop/profile settings.

Am I better off using this utility to move them to a workgroup and retain profile and then use the utility again to add them to the domain while retaining the profiles?   Or will it fully understand this situation and let me move from old same named domain to the new same named domain and retain their local profiles?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2021 at 2:51pm
My situation and plan is nearly identical to what you have described.  The user guide shows a Force Join option for this situation and that is what I am planning to do.

"Force Join tells User Profile Wizard to join the workstation to the new domain even if it is already joined to the domain. This option is useful if you are replacing one domain with a domain of the same name."

My plan is to bring down the existing DC's, connecting the new DC's to the LAN, then migrating each workstation with the Force Join option.  If I'm missing something, support please speak up.

If you've already completed your migration, please share how it went.

Thanks,
Mark

ThaBlackArrows View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThaBlackArrows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 3:03am
Did you do this migration? I’m curious as to why you would build an identical domain and migrate things over to it rather than fix the existing domain. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic