ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New to this tool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to this tool
    Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 10:50am
Do you still need to use this in conjunction with ADMT?

Does this tool move security groups?

Reason I asked is because I want going to move everything with ADMT before I discovered that ADMT does not play nice with Windows 10 machines.

By everything I mean:

User AD object
Security Groups
User profiles
Computer objects.

Thank you

Edited by greg88 - 26 Feb 2021 at 10:52am
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 11:49am
Hi,

User Profile Wizard is a workstation migration tool, it is not an Active Directory migration tool. It is designed to move workstations into a new domain and to configure the users’ profiles so that they work seamlessly with the users’ new domain accounts. To this end it can create new computer objects in the new domain, but it does not move user accounts, groups or other Active Directory objects like printers, in the way that ADMT can.
greg88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Support Support wrote:

Hi,

User Profile Wizard is a workstation migration tool, it is not an Active Directory migration tool. It is designed to move workstations into a new domain and to configure the users’ profiles so that they work seamlessly with the users’ new domain accounts. To this end it can create new computer objects in the new domain, but it does not move user accounts, groups or other Active Directory objects like printers, in the way that ADMT can.

Ok, thank you for the reply.

So it sounds like I'll need to move the user objects and security groups using ADMT and then the rest using the User Profile Wizard.

This tool basically does the computer migration ADMT part and the security translation ADMT part from what I understand?
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:43pm
You are correct.
greg88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 12:46pm
Sorry, I saw in the guide that it moves SID history.

What SID history is it moving? Computer object?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 1:28pm
It is the user SID History.

If you have already migrated the SID history with ADMT, you do not have to do it again with User Profile Wizard.
greg88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greg88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 3:42pm
ok thanks

does the tool also migrate over user passwords?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 4:09pm
No. Passwords are not migrated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic