ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newb question about migration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightBreeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newb question about migration
    Posted: 27 Jul 2022 at 11:17pm
So, I know this is probably elementary, but it's a serious question, so don't laugh.  Say I'm migrating a local account to a azure account that already exists, and has existed for a long, long time.  Does the migration from local to azure delete anything in the azure account?  The documentation only says its safe for the account being migrated, but makes no mention of the account it's being moved to.  I'm thinking that they assume that you're using a brand-spanking new account, which is why I need to ask this question.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 8:48am
Hi, 

Our domain migration tool, User Profile Wizard, is designed to move workstations into a new domain / join AzureAD and to configure the users’ profiles so that they work seamlessly with the users’ new domain accounts. The software does not move, copy or delete any data. Instead it configures the existing profile “in place” so that it can be used by the user’s new account.

If the computer has not been joined to AzureAD before, and you have not logged on to the Azure account on this computer, then there will not be an existing profile on this computer to worry about.

If there is an existing profile related to the target account on this computer for whatever reason, the source and existing target profile will not be merged. 

I hope this answers your question. 
KnightBreeze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KnightBreeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2022 at 4:16pm
...Partially?  I still have some concerns that I'd like you to try to address, if you have the time.  To clarify, I'm working with azure active directory, yes, but also OneDrive.  So, merging an existing local account that has an existing OneDrive with and existing azure active directory account that has an existing OneDrive doesn't merge the two OneDrives?  Possibly wiping one or more crucial documents that may or may not have the same name?  Is that what I'm hearing?  Because that's my main concern, here.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 2:03pm
Hi, 

Our software migrates a user profile from one account to another, no changes are made to OneDrive content. The user would need to log in to their OneDrive account after the profile is migrated, and they log on for the first time.

You can of course create yourself a test account in each environment in order to test the migration.

Support

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic