ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No data transferred after Migration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neverending Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No data transferred after Migration
    Posted: 13 Oct 2023 at 5:13pm
We are currently testing the Corp addition of User Profile wizard. The domain is successful , but instead of renaming the old profile to the new domains new NT profile name, when we log in after the migration it creates the new profile with no data in it. When we look at Windows users we still see the old profile in there with all its data as well as the new profile that's empty. Anything that we must have checked or make sure we do as a pre requisite to have this complete successfully? 
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2023 at 10:03am
Hi, 

If you have logged in to the new account, and Windows has created a new / blank profile, this means that either the migration did not complete (what does the log show?), or the profile hasn't been migrated to the account you have logged on with. 

We would need to see the config file and migration log, and more information regarding what happens when you log on to the new account to be able to confirm. I would check the whoami output to confirm exactly what account you have logged in as, and compare that to the account you have migrated the profile to. 

If you continue to have a problem, please can you email us at support@

Many thanks,

Support.
Beepi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beepi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 7:32am
Sorry for hijacking but I'm having the exact same issue.
I used Profwiz to do the migration of my on-prem AD user (actually I'm Hybrid AAD-joined) to Azure AD.
It completed the process with "Migration complete" message, but after I restarted, a new user profile was created for the AAD account.
Looking at the ACLs of files in the old profile, I don't see any new AAD SID added to them (maybe because the hybrid account is sharing the same SID?)

In attempt to revert by disconnecting the device from AAD and re-joining to AD, I found out that the user profile can be longer be accessed, even when I rejoined to AD.
Looking at ProfileList in the registry, I see the account having a new DWORD key named |"ForensiTMigrated" set to 1.

Lastly, I run the migration tool again to migrate from AzureAD to on-prem AD to be able to access my old profile and it worked, so I'm back to the point where I started the whole process.

I can provide the log, but there's nothing really there that can help, because all actions were succeeded

Edited by Beepi - 28 Nov 2023 at 10:36am
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 10:34am
Hi, 

As per the previous reply, if the migration log reports that the migration was successful and if, when you log in to the new account Windows creates you a new / blank profile - the profile was not migrated to the new account you have logged in as. 

We would need to see the config file and migration log, and more information regarding what happens when you log on to the new account to be able to confirm. I would check the whoami output to confirm exactly what account you have logged in as, and compare that to the account you have migrated the profile to. 

If you log in to the old account after the migration, Windows will also create a new profile because you have migrated the profile away from that account.

If you continue to have a problem, please can you email us at support@

Many thanks,

Support.
Beepi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beepi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 10:45am
It does make sense that I was logged in with my previous on-prem account instead of AAD, but i don't have a way to explicitly tell Windows to log me in to AAD after the migration.
When I use my UPN to login, it automatically log me in to the on-prem user profile, therefore creating a new profile.
Sounds to me like a result of the hybrid-join environment we are in.
Is there any additional step I need to perform after the migration? like disconnecting from on-prem AD using a local account and then try to join to AAD manually?

Edited by Beepi - 28 Nov 2023 at 10:46am
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 1:54pm
Hi, 

Yes, you need to unjoin the computer from AD and join the computer to Azure. 

Which Edition of the Wizard are you using? The Free edition will not join the computer to Azure for you, you will need to join the computer to Azure yourself. 

If you are using the Professional or Corporate Edition of User Profile Wizard, if you specify a Provisioning Package, the Wizard will automatically unjoin the computer from the domain and install the Provisioning Package for you in order to automate joining the computer to Azure. 

If you continue to have a problem, please can you email us at support@ with more information. 

Many thanks,

Support.

Beepi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beepi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 6:05pm
Gotcha. So that explains it all.
Should I do that before the migration or after?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2023 at 6:08pm
Hi, 

You can join the computer to Azure before or after you migrate the profile, however, do not log in to the new account before you migrate the profile to it. 

Many thanks,

Support.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic