ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - On-prem domain migration *directly* to Azure AD?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

On-prem domain migration *directly* to Azure AD?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On-prem domain migration *directly* to Azure AD?
    Posted: 11 Mar 2022 at 1:20am
I have reviewed the current version of your "User Profile Wiz - Corporate User Guide" PDF.  Having used your (excellent) "User Profile Wiz" utility multiple times in the past, today I focused on a current project of mine, and that meant I focused on the section of that guide titled "Migrating to Azure AD."

However, here are the things that I am still unsure about:

1) Since I am planning on creating and using a Microsoft "Provisioning Package" with your "User Profile Wiz" utility, am I going to be able to use your utility only one time (per computer), to migrate the user profile from our onsite domain, to Azure AD?  Or instead, am I going to have to use your "User Profile Wiz" utility *twice* (once to migrate the user profile from the on-prem domain to a Workgroup, and then use your utility again to migrate the same user profile from that Workgroup to Azure AD?

2) If there is only one user profile to migrate in this manner on a given computer, I do *not* need to create and use a "User Lookup File" with your utility.....is that correct?

3) On computers that have *multiple* user profiles to migrate in this manner, then I'll need to create and use a "User Lookup file" with your utility.....is that correct?  Assuming so, then can you provide any additional details on the formatting for that "User Lookup File?"  For example, is it one user listed per line?  Or perhaps instead, multiple users in the "User Lookup File" should be separated by a semi-colon (or some other character)?

Thank you in advance for your assistance here!

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2022 at 9:06am
Hi, 

1) You can certainly use User Profile Wizard to migrate the profile (and computer) from Domain to Azure in one go, there is a basic demonstration video demonstrating exactly this. https://youtu.be/wVS8eKWgNek

2) You need a lookup file to map the Domain account name to the new Azure account name (UPN), eg; 
username,azure.user@mycompany.onmicrosoft.com
You will also need the ForensitAzureID XML file in order for User Profile Wizard to map new Azure account name (UPN) to the Azure ObjectID

3) You'll need a lookup file, even for one user as the usernames are not the same, the Domain username does not match the Azure UPN.

The user lookup file is a CSV file, one user per line, in the case of a Domain to Azure migration, it would look similar to; 

olduser,new.username@mycompany.onmicrosoft.com
another.user,another.azureuser@mycompany.com

You can find more information on Page 76 of the User Guide

Support.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic