ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paths in Profwiz.config

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paths in Profwiz.config
    Posted: 17 Apr 2023 at 6:25pm
I'm setting up the Profile Wizard professional version for use in our environment to migrate computers from on-prem AD to Azure AD. I created a network share containing Profwiz.exe, Profwiz.config, UserLookup.csv, ForensiTAzureID.xml, and JoinAzureAD.ppkg. On the target computer, I'm mapping the network share to a drive letter and executing Profwiz.exe from that mapped drive. At first Profwiz.exe couldn't find the UserLookup.csv and ForensiTAzureID.xml files. I found that in Profiz.config, they were specified with absolute paths that don't reflect their locations in the mapped network drive:
<!-- Azure AD -->
<Azure>True</Azure>
<AzureObjectIDFile>C:\ProgramData\ForensiT\User Profile Wizard Professional\Deployment Files\ForensiTAzureID.xml</AzureObjectIDFile>
<ProvisioningPackage>C:\ProgramData\ForensiT\User Profile Wizard Professional\Deployment Files\JoinAzureAD.ppkg</ProvisioningPackage>
<GCC></GCC>

<!-- Settings for migrating all profiles -->
<All>False</All>
<OldDomain>MYOLDDOMAIN</OldDomain>
<UserLookupFile>C:\ProgramData\ForensiT\User Profile Wizard Professional\Deployment Files\CDCUserLookup.csv</UserLookupFile>
<Exclude>ASPNET,Administrator,defaultuser0</Exclude>

I changed the three absolute paths to relative paths, i.e. just the file name, and then Profwiz.exe appeared to work properly except that the JoinAzureAD.ppkg package failed. I ran Install-Provisioning Package -PackagePath /path/to/JoinAzureAD.ppkg, and that succeeded.

I'm wondering if <ProvisioningPackage>JoinAzureAD.ppkg</ProvisioningPackage> in Profwiz.config needs to be something other than just the file name?

I'd also like to know if our approach of using a mapped network drive is reasonable or if there is some other best practice that you would recommend?

Thanks. Jeff.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2023 at 9:27am
Hi, 

The Deployment Kit will write the paths to the files that were selected in the config file, if these aren't valid for a computer you are migrating, you can modify the paths, or as you mention, you can simply remove the path and place the files in the same folder as profwiz.exe. Profwiz will look in the same folder for the files. 

You only need to specify the path/ file name to the Provisioning Package.

I would generally run the software from the computer itself rather than from a network drive.

Many thanks,

Support.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic