Print Page | Close Window

Usr Profile Manager, Windows 7, Domain

Printed From: ForensiT
Category: ForensiT Support
Forum Name: Desktop Management
Forum Description: User Profile Manager questions, suggestions, comments and bug reports
URL: https://forum.ForensiT.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=309
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 6:47pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Usr Profile Manager, Windows 7, Domain
Posted By: thiagotietze
Subject: Usr Profile Manager, Windows 7, Domain
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 7:36am
Hello all.

I have a particular need to use the exactly same profile, to all users on some desktops on my company. All of them are Windows 7 64bit Operating System.

My structure consists of and Active Directory, with 2008R2 Domain controllers.

The point is that I am trying to make this to work, with your tool (User Profile Manager) and I am not succeeding.
I've tried to assign a local profile that I already have created to, MACHINE\users or DOMAIN\Domain Users, but it simply don't works.
When a user that is member of this groups have logged on, it just created another profile, bases on the Windows7 Default one...

Is your software really Working on Windows 7, and with 64Bit versions?
What point I am missing on it?

If it works in a usefull and quick way, I am considering to buy this tool and implement on machines here on my Company.

I appreciate your help. Wink

-------------
there is no result without effort.

Replies:
Posted By: Support
Date Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 11:26am

Yes, User Profile Manger does support Windows 7 64-bit. We are not in the habit of lying about the capabilities of our software Disapprove

The first thing to check is that you are using the latest version if user Profile Manager for Windows 7.

User Profile Manager may have problems if another credential provider is installed. Do you have anything like fingerprint reader software installed?

If you continue to have problems please contact mailto:support@ForensiT.com - support@ForensiT.com

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 12:00pm
So, I am using the version that I've downloaded from your site. The filename is:
User_Profile_Manager_2.0.1026_W7_setup

Is it the correct one?

In fact, I do use fingerprint on one of the laptops I've tested. But I've tested in a desktop that does not have any kind of different credential provider, and it is not working too.

A thing that could be a differential, is that we have Novell Client installed, but not in use...
This may be a problem?

Let me be clear on my goals:
I want to  pick up a Profile, already created on this machine, and let all Domain Users (for example) to logon with this specific Profile... Using this profile folder.

Is this perfectly possible with User Profile Manager, right?

And, at last, yes, I will send a mail to support if the responses here do not help me.

Thanks Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 12:12pm
Oh, and just to mention:
"We are not in the habit of lying about the capabilities of our software"

Sorry for that, as you can see, my english is not that well.
So, sh*t (sometimes) happens Cool

-------------

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 12:19pm
My guess is that the Novell Client may be causing an issue. Let us test this, and we'll post back as soon as possible.

Date Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 2:07pm
Thanks for the help.

-------------

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 6:00am

The problem is to do with the Novell Client. The Novell client installs a Credential Provider ("NcCredProvider") to show "Log on to Novell Network", "Computer Only Logon", "Show Advanced Options", etc. on the logon screen. User Profile Manager, which works with the default Microsoft Credential Provider, doesn't know anything about the Novell Credential Provider and so never gets notified of any logon credentials. As a result it cannot assign the user logging on the correct profile.

Although it is easy to get User Profile Manager working with the Novell provider (instead of the Microsoft one) the additional Novell options are lost. Enabling them would require a major rewrite of the code.

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 7:08am
Hum... OK.

In fact that was a huge coincidence about having Fingerprint OR Novell Client in all machines tested.

I will pick up a clear machine and try to put Usr Profile Manager to work.

What I will do too, is to uninstall the novell client on one of the machines and test it. We need to see if uninstalling Novell, makes the other Credential provider to be removed too.

I will post my results here.

Thanks in advance.

-------------

Posted By: krasand
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 2:23pm
I have the same problem on Windows 7 Prof (Russian).
I assign a local profile (called "Domain users") to file://%5C%5CDomainName%5CDomain%20Users%20account - \\DomainName\Domain Users account . But when a user ( file://domainname/Opt_1 - \\DomainName\Opt_1 for example) which is a member of file://domainname/Domain%20Users%20account - \\DomainName\Domain Users group  logs to Windows the User Profile Manager (ver 2.00.1026) creates new profile (Opt_1) from Default User.
The only way for me to use User Profile Manager - to assign the profile to user before its first login to Windows.
I do not use Novell Client and I do not know any "Credential Provider". I have a office local network with Windows 2003 Ent SP2 and Windows 2008 R2 Std.

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 5:30am
Hi Krasand,

There should be no problem running User Profile Mananger on Russian Windows. To troubleshoot this issue we would require some data from your machine. If you continue to have a problem, please email mailto:support@ForensiT.com - support@ForensiT.com

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2019 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net