ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Profile Migration/Recreation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeauregard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Profile Migration/Recreation
    Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 4:19pm
Hello all!

So I'm trying to utilize ForensIT User Profile Wizard Deployment tool to make name changes quicker on our domain, on Windows 10 computers. (ver. 1803 and above).

Basically, user names AND computer names are dependent on a user's first name and last name, and when a last name needs to be changed (marriage, etc.), we want to use ForensIT to make this process much more automated and quicker. We are looking to have it create a new User Folder with the new user name and change the computer name at the same time to be communicated back to our Active Directory database.

We have a bit of a process in using this. However, once I get to the end of the process, it just tells me that the migration failed and to "see log". Only issue is - where does the log file actually store itself?

Essentially what I'm trying to do is: I install ForensIT User Profile Wizard on my own computer, plug the old/new user names and computer names into these two .CSV files that I understand are standard to this product. Then, I get all the way to the end of the Wizard, it creates a .exe file and I believe what is supposed to be a .vbs file(?)...from there I was to understand that I need to copy that .exe file that gets created to the user's computer, and run it from something like the root of C:\ to be sure it's running agnostic to user profile folder(s).

I guess I'm curious if (1) there is a nice walkthrough that might help me/us figure out how to get this done properly on each machine/user we have to do this for, and/or (2) I'm wondering if there's a specific folder that log files get created for ForensIT. Does this need to run from a network folder, or can I do it the way I'm doing it?

Thanks in advance...let me know if there are any questions. Not sure if this is confusing or not.
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 5:14am
The log file will be where you specified it to be at Step 11 of the Deployment Kit. The path is saved in your Profwiz.config file in the <Log> value. By default it is C:\Users\Public\Documents\Migrate.Log

Step-by-Step instructions are available in the User Guide
tbeauregard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeauregard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 8:25am
Thanks for this! I will take another pass at it and see what I can gather.
tbeauregard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbeauregard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 10:05am
Is it the assumption, with this profile migration process I've tried to describe, that there are TWO accounts in AD that ForensIT needs to see before it can migrate/create the new profile on a computer?

Trying to use this for name changes...Which means I'm just altering an account on our Active Directory to show a new login name, not creating an entire new account in Active Directory for the user to login with.

The thing I'm noticing now that I can see the logs is: If I alter the account record in Active Directory and then try to use ForensIT to migrate to the new profile with the new user account login name, the log will tell me that the OLD account can't be found in the directory. I was curious, so I tried a test on the flip side, and tried to run the migration BEFORE changing the user account, and it then said it couldn't find the NEW user name/account - which was to be expected I guess? But I wanted to make sure I was doing a full test here.

If I need a second account in Active Directory to do this migration, I don't think this will work for my purpose. But, if there's a way to use it on a computer that already has an established Windows profile/and data (that I can move after the new profile is created automatically) on it with the soon-to-be OLD user name, then change the user name in Active Directory and run ForensIT to setup a new profile and all that with the new user name.....that would be helpful. Otherwise, I think we might just have to keep doing this the "manual" way.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by tbeauregard - 15 Sep 2020 at 10:05am
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 4:04am
If all you are doing is changing the account name in Active Directory, the user SID stays the same, and the user can sign-in with their new username and will get the same profile they have always used. So if you have a user Test, and you rename the account Test2, you will be able to sign in as Test2 and Test2 will use the original C:\Users\Test profile. This is without doing anything with User Profile Wizard at all.

If you then want to rename the profile from C:\Users\Test to C:\Users\Test2 you can do that by just selecting the C:\Users\Test profile on the “Select a User Profile” page, and entering “Test2” as the account name on the “User Account Information” page. There is no issue at all.

Edited by Support - 17 Sep 2020 at 4:04am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic