ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The RPC server is unavailable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfoley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The RPC server is unavailable
    Posted: 14 Dec 2023 at 10:34pm
I am attempting to migrate a user on a Windows 10 workstation to a new Samba 4.18.8 Active Direcory / Domain Conroller. I'm using Transwiz to migrate the user and join the domain. It starts unpacking the saved profile and appears to successfully contact the DC, but I end up with the error:

The following error occured attempting to connect to the domain hprs.locl: 
The RPC server is unavailable.

I also tried skipping the join step and just migrating the profile I have been told that ForensiT can successfully migrate/join to Samba AD/DCs. Any idea what is going wrong?

Am I using the right tool? Another fellow told me he has migrated about 300 workstations using Profwiz.

Help appreciated!
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2023 at 5:23pm
Hi, 

Are you migrating the profile from one computer to another, or from one account to another (on the same computer?). 

The RPC server is unavailable. Would indicate a name resolution issue.

If you are migrating the profile from one account to another, on the same computer, you should use User Profile Wizard. 

If you are migrating the profile from one computer to another, you should use Transwiz.

Thanks,

Support.
mfoley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfoley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2023 at 5:03am
I figured out my problem. You were right, it was a DNS issue. Windows workstations on the "old" DC were able to figure out where the DC DNS was located -- possibly because I used a different DNS mechanism on that DC. I fixed the problem by updating the Windows IPv4 settings and specifying the DC as DNS.

I did appear to migrate the user successfully with Transwiz, but I am migrating the users on the same computer, and you are suggesting Profile Wizard (Profwiz?). Would that be preferable? Note that I have created the new DC with a new AD domain name and I have to un-join the Windows workstations from the current domain and join to the new domain. In this case, is Transwiz better?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2023 at 11:36am
Hi, 

You should use User Profile Wizard if you are migrating a profile from one account to another, on the same computer. 

The Wizard will migrate the profile(s), unjoin the computer from the old domain and join it to the new domain for you. 

Many thanks,

Support.
mfoley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mfoley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2024 at 12:06am
In follow-up to my last post, I used RegistryFinderSetup2.58.1.exe to change Registry values from old domain name to new domain name.

New/old problem. I tried joining another member to this domain using Profwiz and I got the same "The RPC server is unavailable" error. This time, my DNS does point to the DC:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : commonW10
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-27-C9-AD-6B
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.62(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.60
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

IP 192.168.1.60 is dc1.hprs.locl. The Profwiz log is:

Target device: COMMONW10
OS build 10.0.19045.3930. Version 22H2.
Domain: Joined to workgroup.
Local account name is a SID.
Finding Domain Controller for domain hprs.locl... Done.
Using Domain Controller: \\dc1.hprs.locl
Binding to Active Directory...Fails.
A remote procedure call (RPC) protocol error occurred.

So, it finds the DC, but the bind to AD fails. Any idea why?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2024 at 5:27pm
Hi, 

Windows uses DNS to find the addresses of RPC endpoints and Windows Services like Active Directory.

You can test connectivity to the new target domain by running the Microsoft dcdiag tool from the workstation. (This is installed with the Remote Server Administration Tools if you turn on the Active Directory Domain Services Tools feature.)

There is a DNS test (dcdiag /test:DNS) and you can also run tests against a specific DC:

dcdiag /s:domain_controller

If you continue to have a problem, please can you contact us at support with more information, including the migration log.

Many thanks,

Support.

Edited by Support - 17 Jan 2024 at 5:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic