ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

All Microsoft Store Apps Crash

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhickman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All Microsoft Store Apps Crash
    Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 9:30am
Hello,

We ran the User Profile Wizard (Build 3.11.1219) on Windows 10 Pro test computers, converted the local windows profile to the domain, everything went great but the Windows Store Applications do not load. They immediately crash upon opening with the following error in the event viewer:

Example 1:
Activation of app Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App failed with error: The app didn't start. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Other Log:
ActivateApplicationForContractByAppIdAsUserWithHost of the app Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App for the Windows.Launch contract failed with The app didn't start..

Example 2:
Activation of app Microsoft.ZuneMusic_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.ZuneMusic failed with error: The remote procedure call failed. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Other Log:
ActivateApplicationForContractByAppIdAsUserWithHost of the app Microsoft.ZuneMusic_8wekyb3d8bbwe!Microsoft.ZuneMusic for the Windows.Launch contract failed with The remote procedure call failed..

I do recall the screen saying it was updating the windows apps when logging into Windows for the first time on the domain account, but it appears to have not worked properly.

We were able to temporarily correct the issue by running the following powershell command:
Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

The following day the Windows store applications would not load again.

I'm not sure how to correct the issue permanently and was hoping that we could purchase this tool and eliminate some of the manual process behind joining the domain and building these profiles but these broken apps are preventing us from moving forward.

I'd appreciate your help in correcting the issue.

Thank you,
Brett

Edited by bhickman - 01 Jul 2016 at 9:35am
Tbrister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbrister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2016 at 3:19pm
I'm getting the same error.

I transferred domain accounts to local; I had been running a domain at home but it became more of a hassle than it was worth. All appeared to work well, but the Windows Store would no longer update apps, and it often corrupted them when it attempted to update. There were intermittent issues with the regular Windows Updates as well, but these could be resolved by clearing the cache and running a few utilities.

The Windows store returns error 0x80070002, and research online hasn't led to any successful solution to the issue. I've tried resetting the store apps with the same PowerShell command posted, as well as running the wsreset.exe utility, and deleting the local cache for the Windows Store app itself. I haven't dug in depth into the Windows Update log, but that's the next step.

I've also run into some other issues with products installing via MSI; those were permissions issues in the registry, which I was able to correct. I suspect a similar cause may be affecting Windows Updates and the Store, but I haven't been able to track down the exact permissions affected as of yet.

A refresh install of Windows 10 will fix the issue, but requires re-installing your apps (and defeats the purpose of using the tool in the first place).

The issues were mostly intermittent annoyances until the latest round of Microsoft security updates, at which point they started causing random kernel crashes (about 1 to 2 times per day).

One other thing I noticed were a lot of DCOM errors appearing in the event log, usually about an app not having permissions under a certain user account (sometimes the logged in user, sometimes SYSTEM or NETWORK SERVICE).

Since access to the WindowsApps folder is restricted, even to administrators, I wonder if there's something in there that isn't getting pulled out correctly?

EDIT:
An update to this. I ran the built-in Windows Background Intelligent Transfer Troubleshooter (in Control Panel->Troubleshooters, Show All), and it fixed the issue for me. The Windows Update Troubleshooter and the Store troubleshooter apparently do not check these settings, even though they rely on them. The BITS troubleshooter found security descriptor errors, repaired them, and suddenly it all seems to work. Can't say yet whether any of the other issues (specifically, the DCOM errors and the odd crashes) are gone, but I'll post again in a few days if all seems well.

Edited by Tbrister - 21 Jul 2016 at 4:49pm
ogwolflord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ogwolflord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 9:45am
I'm getting the same error...

I attempted uninstalling the App using powershell and re-registering it with powershell.

Get-AppxPackage *photos* | Remove-AppxPackage

Add-AppxPackage -register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_16.302.8200.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode

After reboot the issue occurs again..
ogwolflord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ogwolflord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2016 at 11:33am
Just an update with the Windows 10 apps breaking. Everytime I attempted opening an MS App, it would open for a millisecond then crash immediately.

I noticed the 'WindowsApps' folder in C:\Program Files did not have some permissions. The user couldn't read or write to this folder. I made the user the owner of the folder and gave his account full access to the folder/files and subfolders/files. I then gave the account 'ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES' full access.

After I made these permission changes, I re-registered the apps using the following powershell command:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

After all this, he was able to open the MS APPs. Hopefully this doesn't break again (I first tried just the powershell command and it worked for a few days, then it broke).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic