ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

User profile (IE, outlook)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neoluu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: User profile (IE, outlook)
    Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 10:46am
Hi,

Is it possible for profwiz to keep all settings from old profile such as any password for website and outlook so that it does not need to be reconfigured?

Thanks
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 11:48am
User Profile Wizard cannot migrated encrypted data. Windows encrypts Internet Explorer and Outlook passwords with an algorithm that uses the user’s own credentials: their username and password. The encrypted passwords are then usually stored in the registry. When the profile is migrated and the user logs on with different credentials, the encrypted data cannot be decrypted (because the username and password have changed) and Windows prompts you for the password again.
neoluu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neoluu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 9:44pm
OK. So if i understand correctly; if i use profwiz to do a domain migration, would outlook need to be re-configured with the exchange server, etc... ??? Or it would work as normal?

Thanks
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 3:25am
If the user's Exchange Server settings are not changing no re-configuration is required: the user will continue to use the exact same settings as before - they simply need to re-enter their password. If the Exchange Server settings are changing, Outlook will need to be re-configured.
neoluu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neoluu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 8:27am
OK. Thanks. In my case the exchange enviro is not changing.

I have another question. Since our users are local admin on their machine, I'll have migrate.vbs execute under their username when they login through logon script. Since I choose to rename the profile folder to their new domain user and the user is logged-on while migrate.vbs is running in the background, how does the migrate process working if the user has NTUSER.DAT locked. Is profwiz doing an impersonation of some sort???
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2012 at 8:47am
Profile folders are renamed on reboot.
neoluu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neoluu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 2:35pm
Concerning Outlook 2003, from the users post (http://forum.forensit.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=286) where he renames users profile folder (like i am doing) he need to re-setup outlook again. I'm also renaming user profile folder, but did not have to re-setup outlook. Can you explain why same approach produce two different result?

Thanks
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 7:48am
Because User Profile Wizard is continuously updated and we now use a different method of updating Outllok settings Smile
BGR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BGR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2012 at 8:29pm
We just started using User Profile Wizard (licensed Corporate) for an AD migration and it's working great. We also noticed the need to reenter all credentials, something we really hadn't seen in testing. We noticed that WiFi passphrases in the Intel ProSet Wireless utility are also lost. Is this a result of the same issue with encrypted passwords or should we expect these to carry over?
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 8:05am
This is not an issue people raise with us. I guess it is going to depend on how your particular wireless utility is written.  Windows 7, for example, seems to save WiFi passphrases at a system level, so they are not stored with an individual profile.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic