ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Move Computer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Transwiz restore incomplete

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hdal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transwiz restore incomplete
    Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 1:39pm
For an old neighbor I wanted to use Transwiz to migrate her user profile from her old to a new PC (Lenovo laptop). I created an extra profile Henk on the old PC, and from that profile Transwiz saved about 45000 files from her profile (Eline) to the zip file Eline.trans.zip.

On the new PC I created an account for myself, and used Transwiz to reload the files. It discovers the profile Eline doesn't exist yet, creates it, and finishes (too quickly). Afterwards, there are only about 2.500 files in the profile, so it hasn't restored all the other files. Can anyone think of a reason why?

Thanks,
Henk
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 2:57pm
Hi Henk,

Try opening the transfer file in 7-Zip and checking the contents. Use the "Test Archive" function to check the integrity of the file.

hdal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hdal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 3:10pm
Thanks for your quick reply. I just now tested it with WinRAR, since that's already on my computer. No problems were found. If you prefer 7zip, I can also do that.

But I also extracted all the files from Eline.trans.zip myself to a backup folder on a completely different system, and everything seems to be there.
hdal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hdal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 2:25pm
After a lot of experimenting and problems, I refreshed the Windows system on the destination computer, and gave it a new try. This time I created the profile on the new computer manually (via Accounts in Settings). Then I used Transwiz to merge (not overwrite) files.

One of the main issues the first time was Firefox. This time I made sure it was installed before I created the account, but after the merge the Firefox profile wasn't identical to the one on the old computer. Although the Firefox profile was copied by Transwiz, it wasn't the default one, so I changed that through Profiles.ini. And now Firefox seems to work OK, which is the main thing.

I have no idea what went wrong the first time, but luckily the problem has been solved.

Henk
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2021 at 3:34pm
Hi Henk,

It's good to hear you solved the problem. Thank you for letting us know.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic