ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vista password requested after running wizzard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fernbreck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vista password requested after running wizzard
    Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 9:55am
Hi,

Running an old SBS 4.5 Server that had an Exchange crash. We moving to SBS 2008 but had to rebuild the server to enable us to restore the data. Once rebuilt I manually attached all but 3 clients again and then stumbled upon User Profile Wizard and thought I'd try it on the last few.

Running the Corporate Trial I ran the wizard locally via the GUI after creating the template and copying the files across. First XP PC ran without a hitch.  Second attached the XP PC to the domain but didn't migrate the profile. The third is my Vista PC and this attached the PC to the domain and migrated my profile but now whenever I get the silly Vista "Windows needs your permission to continue" message I am prompted for a username and password.

Once I've got the new server up I would really like to license this software as it seems really good if only I can get to the bottom of these small issues. I can live with the failed profile migration but not the Vista issue!

Any input appreciated.

Brent
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 10:29am
The Vista issue is down to UAC (User Account Control.) If you are an Administrator of a Vista machine, but not the Administrator, you will be presented with a  Continue/Cancel prompt. If you are not an Administrator, you are prompted to enter Administrator credentials. (More on this here.) Does your new account have Administrator rights?

To make things more interesting, there is also a Group Policy "User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode" which can force a prompt for a password even if you are an Administrator.

User Profile Wizard does not alter any of these settings.
fernbreck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fernbreck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 10:40am
Besides the default Vista Administrator Account there is only one user account which is mine and I am an administrator.

Obviously the annoying prompt has always been there but the blank fields have only just appeared after using your wizard and rebooting.

I'll follow your link now.
fernbreck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fernbreck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 10:43am
Had a quick look but wanted to make one further point. I'm getting the blank password fields with all actions and not just running your wizard. 
fernbreck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fernbreck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 10:55am
My password is also no longer accepted. For example just gone to "Manage User Accounts" and get the prompt.

Entering the correct details login fails and I get "The requested operation requires elevation"

Entering my user but an incorrect password I get "Login failure unknown user or bad password"
Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 11:29am
The "The requested operation requires elevation" message indicates that although the credentials you have specied are correct, they do not have administrator permissions.
fernbreck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fernbreck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 11:57am
The account is mine and I do have admin permissions. I've now resolved this and what appears to have happened is pre the migration I had a domain\user account and post the migration it was local-pc\user.

I had to log in as local-pc\user and create a domain\user account.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic