ForensiT Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > ForensiT Support > Domain Migration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Workgroup environment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksrichards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Workgroup environment
    Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 2:42pm
Hello,
Currently we have a workgoup environment with a single member server Windows 2008 R2 and 25 user desktops (a mix of XP Pro and Win 7 Pro) and a couple of networked HP Jetdirect laser printers. All users have local server accounts with explicit rights to shares on the server through mapped drives on their desktops. We are going to install a software package in the near future that will require AD. As I understand the Profile Wizard needs to be run on each desktop to convert the profiles to domain profiles ? 
Another question I have is what make sense as the easiest or best way implement on a production network?
 As an example:
 1) install AD on the current server
 2) leave groups and users as they exist on the server as a local account or recreate them.
 3) Visit each desktop with Profile Wizard.
Hopefully this is not a confusing question.
Thanks
KSR

Support View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Support Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 11:22am
Hi,

Installing AD on the current server is certainly the best solution if you can do it. (But see this discussion on TechNet.) This will mean that the local server accounts will be converted to domain user accounts and the existing permissions to shares on the server should be preserved.

You will then need to run User Profile Wizard on each workstation, as you say, to migrate your users’ profiles to their new domain accounts and join the machines to the domain.
ksrichards View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksrichards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2013 at 12:25pm
Hello,

Ok - I appreciate your input ! I am also planning to add a new server to the mix and promote it to DC so I can make the transition easier .... then down the road prmote the current "workgroup" server a DC for rendunancy (AD,DNS and DHCP). The reason is I do not think I can do it all in one day and into the evening and have it all ready for the users the next morning. With the Profile Wizard and this scenario I will have a bit more breating room

Thanks,
Karl
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic